TERMS OF REFERENCE
Recruitment of a Communication Specialist for WAAPP
The West Africa Agricultural Productivity Programme (WAAPP/PPAAO) was initiated by the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) with the aim of contributing to the implementation of the Agricultural Policy (ECOWAP), in accordance with the Comprehensive African Agricultural Development Programme (CAADP/NEPAD). ECOWAS mandated CORAF/WECARD to coordinate the implementation of the WAAPP/PPAAO at regional level with the support of the World Bank.
This programme aims to contribute to the improvement of agricultural productivity in the following priority sectors: roots and tubers, dry cereal, rice, mango and onions, bananas and plantains, fishing and aquaculture, corn, livestock, mangrove rice.
Within this framework, the innovations and technologies have been generated by 13 countries in which the Programme is currently implemented.
However, there is a weakness in the visibility of results obtained and hence, a low adoption by the end-users as producers and by the general population. This reflects, in large part, the deficiencies in the mechanisms of transfer and wide-scale dissemination of those innovations and technologies.
In view of the foregoing, CORAF/WECARD, the regional agency for WAAPP Implementation is seeking to recruit a highly qualified professional for the position of Communication Specialist of WAAPP.
To help implement WAAPP’s communication and media relations strategy. The primary responsibility of the role is assuring the quality, tone and consistency of various communication products and stakeholder engagement efforts. The communication specialist will spearhead both external and internal communications with the aim of strengthening WAAPP and CORAF/WECARD identity and brand reputation through various internal and external communication channels. Focus will be on quality assurance of WAAPP ‘s image and related web resources, media relations, crafting communication and strategy to guide achievement of outcomes of WAAPP strategy.
Reporting to the Manager of Information and communication of CORAF/WECARD, the Communication Specialist will be a full time Consultant and shall perform inter-alia the following duties and responsibilities:
Duties and responsibilities:
Conceptualizing, planning, organizing, directing and implementing the overall communication strategy, internal and external events and public information for WAAPP,
this will include:
- Managing the day-to-day visibility of WAAPP;
- Leading the development of a visibility and social media strategy that responds to WAAPP’s mission and objectives, maintaining media relations and maximizing media opportunities
- Coordinating the development of content for a wide variety of communications vehicles, including electronic and print publications, the intranet, video, PowerPoint, social media, newsletters, roller stands, posters, blogs, WAAPP website and other emerging electronic media
- Developing delivery and packaging plans for messages.
- Developing branding initiatives, communications and media relations.
- Developing communication strategies for delivery of corporate culture and business strategy
- Monitoring events, opportunities or developments relevant to West Africa’s agricultural development at the global, continental, sub-regional and national level from the lens of communication.
- Serving as editor of WAAPP’s website and other web resources, providing assurance of quality, tone, and consistency of online materials, core messaging, and web-enabled stakeholder engagement.
- Taking responsibility for general oversight and quality assurance for all editorial output and content creation of all communication materials of WAAPP intended for publication
- Working closely with relevant WAAPP staff to research and collect, compile, write and edit news releases, features, marketing campaigns and opinion pieces on pertinent agricultural research issues in Africa.
- Managing the publication and promotion of WAAPP outcomes, including design printing reactive statements for external & Internal use
- media releases, blogs, online content, talking points for media interviews and
- Working closely with WAAPP’s strategic priorities and programmes to ensure effective and wide-scale dissemination and sharing of WAAPP’s flagship projects outputs.
- Providing media skill building support to WAAPP staff and forum partners including quality assured outsourced services. Building in-house capacity, where feasible, to support media engagement activities.
- Ensure timely and successful implementation of the WAAPP regional communication action plan;
- Provide technical and advisory support to the countries communication team to implement specific communication activities as laid out in the Strategy;
- Review and identify key results/success stories of WAAPP and translate them into communication products/activities;
- Take the lead on planning and producing various multimedia products (i.e., videos, infographics, web content, etc.) based on the WAAPP communication strategy; dispatch reporting teams on the field to capture pictures and conduct interviews as necessary;
- Ensure the quality of various communication products (i.e., films, documentaries, success stories, messages, web content, etc.);
- Advise CORAF/WECARD on the achievements and results to show for an improvement of the Programme;
- Coordinate and provide support to the national communication teams in the participating WAAPP countries;
- Write and/or edit different communication materials (i.e., results stories, messages, reports, brochure, event plans, etc.);
- Review and update the WAAPP regional communication strategy and action plan.Ø Any other duties within the scope of communication and media relations as will be assigned by Management. Interested Applicants must have a minimum of Master’s degree in applied communication, journalism, public relations, or equivalent.
Education and Experience
- A good knowledge and understanding of African Agricultural development issues with experience in project management.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in a related communications, marketing or journalist role. Five years’ experience in leading corporate communication initiatives and/or science writing and editing.
- Demonstrable experience of representing an organization in public or/and media relations and excellent public-speaking skills is a must. Creative problem solver with superior ability to conceptualize corporate and technical concepts is needed.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills with English and French working knowledge.
- Solid knowledge of developing and implementing media, advocacy or marketing campaigns and social media concepts and tools is a plus.
- Standard office ICT skills including social media and general understanding of web development software. Knowledge of the CORAF/WECARD and WORLDBANK environments will be an added advantage.
This recruitment is pegged on full time Consultant remuneration and benefits, according to experience and qualifications. The position is based at the CORAF/WECARD Secretariat in Dakar.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit via email comprehensive Curriculum Vitae together with a motivation letter and names/contact details of three referees to: Dr. PACO SEREME, Executive Director, CORAF/WECARD. Dakar, Senegal. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org and copy to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted up to 21 January 2016. Please use the job title and reference in the subject line of your email. Due to anticipated high volume of applicants, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Applications which do not meet the stated criteria will be rejected.