This program ended in December 2016
One of the major challenges in the field of agricultural research in West and Central Africa remains the mobilisation and coordination of agricultural research and development funding. One of the proposed solutions for taking up this challenge and hence, to achieve practical impacts on agricultural development, is the Multi Donor Trust Fund (MDTF).
CORAF/WECARD’s MDTF was established by the World Bank in March 2011 and it supports integrated agricultural research for West and Central African development through the CORAF/WECARD Operational Plan (2008-2013). Via this funding, the objective is to contribute to lasting improvements in productivity, competitiveness and agricultural markets in West and Central Africa. It is also a backbone funding for the CORAF/WECARD Operational Plan.
The CORAF/WECARD’s MDTF currently has two donors; the DFATD which contributes 10,000,000 Canadian Dollars, and the European Commission (EC), which contributes 11,475,000 EURO. These two development partners support CORAF/WECARD for a period of five years. The grant agreement was signed between donors, the World Bank and CORAF/WECARD.
SOME RESULTS :
- Fewer plants yield more
- Support to NCoS, Base-Centres and other partners
- Promoting Regional Trade of Livestock, Meat and Livestock-related Products in West and Central Africa
- Sustainable management of conflicts related to transboundary livestock transhumance in West and Central Africa
- Intensifying ecologically Small holder Fish Farming Systems in West and Central Africa (SyPiEx project)
- Promoting Integrated Aquaculture with Rice and Pig Production in West and Central Africa (SIAD-RP project)
- Promoting Integrated Aquaculture with Rice and Poultry Production in West and Central Africa (SIARP-ESEA project)
- Improving Productivity & Competitiveness of dairy Sub-sector in West and Central Africa (AMPROLAIT project)