CALL FOR EXPRESSION OF INTEREST
RECRUITMENT OF AN INDIVIDUAL CONSULTANT TO DEVELOP A PRIVATE SECTOR ENGAGEMENT (PSE) STRATEGY FOR CORAF
Opening date: June 24, 2021
Closing date: July 08, 2021
CEI No. 21-2021
The West and Central Africa Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF) and its constituting National Agriculture Research Systems (NARS) have been contributing sustainable improvements towards the productivity, competitiveness, and markets of the food system in West and Central Africa (WCA). To boost the performance of smallholder agriculture and achieve food and nutritional security and high incomes in the region, there has been a multitude of response-programs involving an impressive number of development agencies and implementation organizations. CORAF continues to serve the region through the development and use of improved agricultural technologies along the value chain of key commodities and by enhancing the capacity of a range of stakeholders in the agricultural sector.
The NARS are the principal building blocks of WCA’s agricultural transformation. These include (i) NARIs (national agricultural research institutes); (ii) extension services; (iii) institutions of higher education; (iv) technical departments of some ministries or development agencies that carry out some adaptive research program; and (v) non-governmental organizations (NGOs), the private sector, and producer organizations. CORAF, through its ongoing strategic plan (2018 – 2027) continues to engage the NARS in various ways including: the development of a theory of change for technology development and scaling up, fostering and promoting private sector involvement; establishing mutual benefit models between NARS and the private sector; disseminating innovative technologies through the ongoing regional programs; strengthening linkages between R&D + Private sector through incubation platforms as a channel to promote marketing of research products; as well as facilitating a conducive enabling policy environment for increased private sector involvement and effective participation along value chains in the food system.
It is becoming increasingly clear that the lackluster uptake of apparently promising agricultural technologies has been due to the inappropriate engagement and involvement of the private sector in technology generation and use. Moreover, since the private and corporate sector drive much of the global economy, CORAF considers that they also have a specific responsibility to ensure that the natural resources and ecosystems that reinforce their business are available, accessible, and used sustainably. The private sector could be very instrumental in leading developing innovative solutions including technologies needed to drive change.
That is why, CORAF seeks to recruit a consultant to develop a tailored private sector engagement strategy and operational plan for CORAF as it provides sub-regional innovative solutions to the challenges of Agricultural Research for Development in West and Central Africa. The tasks to be performed as well as other information relating to the call are detailed in the terms of reference attached.
The Executive Director invites seasoned and highly qualified consultants and experts to express their interests for this call by providing information indicating that they are qualified to perform such services (CV detailing previous similar experience, references, etc).
In accordance with the rules contained in the CORAF Administrative, Financial and Accounting Procedures Manual, the selection will be carried out according to the method based on the qualification of Consultants with selection criteria below:
- Possess an advanced university degree in business, and administration, agriculture, economics, development studies, agro-economics, or in any other domains related to agribusiness, technology or related disciplines.
- Demonstrated experience of over 5 years in projects, roles or assignments concerning issues affecting agricultural research and technology dissemination in West and Central Africa.
- Possess 3-7 years of extensive experience in agribusiness development (entrepreneurship or business coaching).
- Possess 5-10 years of experience as a private sector practitioner or business leaders
- Demonstrated practical and theoretical knowledge and experience in successfully taking technologies and innovations to market – at least 5 case studies listed in CV.
- Proof of expertise in similar assignments – at least 3 references.
- Proficient in French and/or English (written and verbal).
5. Interested consultants can obtain additional information from the CORAF Executive Secretariat by sending correspondence to the CORAF Operations Manager/Senior Advisor to the Executive Director by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org from 9h to 16h GMT.
6. Applications must be submitted by e-mail to the following address: email@example.com on July 8, 2021 before 10:00 AM at the latest.
Dr. Abdou TENKOUANO