- Partnership visit of the President and the General Secretary of the Africa Seed Trade Association (AFSTA), Messrs Jitendra Shah and Justin Rakotoarisaona respectively.
- In attendance: The President of the AFSTA-West Africa, Mr. Amadou Djijo and Mr. Amadou Sarr of TROPICASEM, Senegal;
- CORAF/WECARD Staff met: The Executive Director, Dr. Harold Roy-Macauley, the Acting Director of Programs (Dr. Ousmane Ndoye), the West Africa Seed Program (WASP) Chief of Party, Dr. Ernest Asiedu and the WASP Team.
- Visit to the Senegalese Government Official: The Minister of Agriculture and Rural Equipment, Hon. Abdoulaye, Balde
- Objective: To strengthen relationship with WASP and to establish the AFSTA West Africa Regional Office (AFSTA-WARO) in Dakar, Senegal.
- Results Achieved
- CORAF/WECARD partnership with the Senegalese government strengthened. The Senegalese Minister of Agriculture (Hon. Abdoulaye Balde) was informed of the role and functions of WASP in improving the supply of quality seeds in West Africa, through (i) alliance building to effectively coordinate the seed system, (ii) effective implementation of the ECOWAS seed regulations, (iii) increased supply of quality breeder seeds and (iv) support to quality foundation and certified seed supply. In Senegal, WASP is partnering with WAAPP, ISRA, the Private Sector and other stakeholders, including Hub Rural, USAID-Bilateral, etc.;
- The role of AFSTA-WARO in strengthening the organizational capacity of the National Seed Associations and the agri-business capacity of the private sector shared with the Hon. Minister and the CORAF/WECARD Management;
- Modalities for the establishing the office and for the implementation of WASP activities related to private sector capacity strengthening agreed upon.
A roadmap for the implementation of agreed actions developed.