The World Bank proposes to organize a workshop to review the financing situation for the Pillar 4 organizations: FARA, ASARECA, CORAF, AFAAS.
The objectives of the workshop are:
- To take stock of the financial situation and resource mobilization strategies of each Pillar 4 organization and to jointly learn from the actions that have been put in place in response.
- To explore options for enhanced sustainability and African accountability in the context of African ownership of the Pillar 4 institutions.
- To explore how key African stakeholders in Pillar 4 organizations: RECs, AUC, member states can support the Pillar 4 organizations.
- To explore operational modalities that may help to contain costs while remaining focused on the mandate of the Pillar 4 organizations; and to understand the implications for the ability to meet key performance indicators.
- To agree on a collective strategy for further showcasing the relevance and importance of the Pillar 4 organizations and for jointly approaching sources of funding.
The expected outputs are:
- A joint strategy for fund raising has been outlined, and responsibilities for elaborating and implementing the strategy have been distributed.
- Each Pillar 4 organization has a clear understanding of its financial situation and of the responses that it might put in place.
- Each Pillar 4 organization has outlined an action plan, for further elaboration afterwards, that indicates how it might respond to the financial situation in the following dimensions:
- Strengthening the role of its member countries and member organizations
- Further enhancing their relevance for agricultural development, as perceived by stakeholders and possible financiers.
- New fund raising initiatives.
- Cost containment activities.
- Prioritized results within the existing MTOPs
Date and venue
Cape town, South Africa, Monday March 23 to Wednesday March 25 2015