Three entities conduct agricultural research in Mali. These include the Institute of Rural Economy, the Central Veterinary Laboratory, and the Rural Polytechnic Institute of Training and Applied Research Katibougou.
The Institute of Rural Economy is Mali’s principal agricultural research agency, primarily focusing on research agricultural and livestock production, postharvest, food technology, and socioeconomic research. CORAF works with many different actors in Mali including the Ministry of Agriculture, the National Directorate of Rural Engineering, the Mali Seed Association (ASEMA), Mali’s National Rice Producers’ Platform, the National Seed Service (SSN) Ségou, the National Coordination of Peasant Organizations, Mali’s National Seed Association (PNPR-M), the National Rice Specialization Centre (CNS-Riz), the Office of Niger (ON), the Permanent Assembly of the Chambers of Agriculture of Mali (APCAM), the Permanent Assembly of Chambers (APCM) of Mali, and the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Mali (CCIM).
CORAF has implemented many projects in Mali including a recent one. The Capacitating Stakeholders in Using Climate Information for Enhanced Resilience in the Agricultural Sector in West Africa (CaSCIERA-WA) seeks to improve the resilience of the crop, livestock, trees, food security, and nutrition system from seasonal climate shocks for communities in participating countries.
Some of the projects include:
- The Capacitating Stakeholders in Using Climate Information for Enhanced Resilience in the Agricultural Sector in West Africa (CaSCIERA-WA)
- Building livelihoods resilience to alleviate poverty in semi-arid areas of West Africa (PLM)
- Promotion of Striga Resistant Sorghum Varieties to mitigate food crises in the Sahelian zone
- Improving post-harvest quality and packaging of rice, sorghum/millet, and cassava products to enhance marketability in West Africa
- Enhancing cowpea productivity and income for sustainable livelihood of resource-poor farmers.
- Strengthening Seed Systems Research and Development
Introgression of Sahelian zebu cattle into trypanotolerant Boss taurus population of West Africa
- Options d’intensification écologique et gestions des risques dans les systems integrate agrosylvopastoraux en Afrique de l’Ouest pour renforcer la sécurité alimentaire
- Intensification of Integrated Crop-Small Ruminant Production Systems in West Africa
- Platform for Exchange between Researchers and Policy makers for Adaptation to Climate Change in Africa
- West African Agricultural Productivity Programme (WAAPP 1A)
- Facilitating the adoption of Bt- Cowpea in selected West African countries
- Projet FSP- mobilisateur Coton (FSP- coton)
- Setting up a Regional Master in Biotechnology
- Implementation of the ECOWAS Action Plan on Biotechnology and Biosafety
- Strengthening Capacity for Agricultural Research and Development in Africa (SCARDA) SCAIN
- Promotion of Science & Technology for Agricultural Development Project – Composante DONATA
CORAF Project Implementation Status: 2008-2016
Num Projects: 6/17
Total amount disbursed in F CFA: 490630728
Organizations involved: 6
Num Projects: 4/6
Total amount disbursed in F CFA: 552924105
Organizations involved: 2
Num Projects: 3/6
Total amount disbursed in F CFA: 177656703
Organizations involved: 1
Num Projects: 6/13
Total amount disbursed in F CFA: 647567876
Organizations involved: 5
Num Projects: 3/5
Total amount disbursed in F CFA: 583064200
Organizations involved: 2
Num Projects: 1/1
Total amount disbursed in F CFA: 540820500
Organizations involved: 3
Total Projects : 23
Total Amount Disbursed in F CFA: 2992664112
More news on Mali
A new study has found that measures put in place by governments to contain the COVID-19 pandemic had a considerably...
Roughly 40 experts are meeting in the Senegalese resort of Saly to learn new techniques to manage better the devastating...
World Bank approves a $570 million Multi-Phase Programmatic Approach Program to improve food system resilience, promote intraregional value chains, and...
The 2021 report of the Joint Advisory Committee of two of West Africa’s largest agri-input projects —the Partnership for Agricultural...