CALL FOR APPLICATIONS FOR THE FOLLOWING POSITIONS:
- Project Manager 01/SE-CORAF/2020
- M&E Assistant 03/SE-CORAF/2020
- Accountant 04/SE-CORAF/2020
Opening date: 31 January 2020
Closing date: 16 February 2020
The West and Central Africa Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF) is a not for profit international association. It is one of the four African Sub-Regional Organizations (SROs) that are members of the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA). It is composed of the National Agricultural Research Systems of 23 West and Central African countries. CORAF harnesses partnerships to drive agricultural innovation in view of achieving prosperity and food and nutrition security in West and Central Africa. Under the auspices of the Regional Economic Communities of West and Central Africa (ECOWAS, UEMOA, ECCAS and CEMAC), CORAF designs programs that contribute to the attainment of the goals of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Program (CAADP).
CORAF has obtained funding from the European Union (EU) Commission for the implementation of various projects that aim to:
(i) Support the strengthening of CORAF’s institutional capacities
(ii) Strengthen and improve the working conditions of teams involved in plant genetic improvement in the Sahel region of West Africa
(iii) Coordinate country interventions in the fight against bio-aggressors.
CORAF intends to use part of this funding to recruit a Project Manager, an M&E Assistant and an Accountant for these projects. The positions will be full-time and based in Dakar, Senegal.
- Project Manager- 01/SE-CORAF/2020
Competency and skills required
The successful candidate will have the following profile:
- Hold a PhD degree in Agriculture or related field
- Have at least 10 years of project management and implementation experience in an international, multidisciplinary and intercultural environment
- Speak French and English properly, with the ability to write and communicate fluently in both languages
- Have strong results-based management skills with extensive experience in agricultural research and impact assessment;
- Have a good command of the computer tool, in this case the Microsoft Office® Suite;
- Have a perfect knowledge in the management of projects financed by the European Union
- Work experience in the environment of the West and Central Africa sub-region and previous experiences of interaction with development partners, national government departments and non-governmental organizations are an asset
- Be willing to travel frequently in the sub-region.
The Project Manager will work under the direct supervision of the Director of Research and Innovation and in close collaboration with the Managers and Coordinators of other initiatives underway at CORAF but also with CORAF’s communication, database management and monitoring and evaluation specialists.
- M&E Assistant – 03/SE-CORAF/2020
The candidate for the position of Monitoring and Evaluation Assistant must have the following qualifications and experience:
- Hold a post-graduate degree in monitoring and evaluation, development evaluation, agro-economics, international development, statistics or any other related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar position in a development organization, international NGO, development agency or reputable institution/organization working mainly in the field of technology transfer, food security, agriculture, agricultural value chain economics
- Have a good knowledge of agricultural research and extension systems in the West and Central African sub-region.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of monitoring and evaluation approaches including the development of results-based management systems; M&E software; data collection instruments; management of large cross-cutting databases on multiple programs and stakeholders;
- Good capacity in statistical and econometric analysis of cross-country panel data and other data;
- Good inter-professional skills with an ability to work in a multidisciplinary team and in a multicultural environment and to undertake extensive travel in the West and Central African sub-region;
- Good ability to communicate orally, in writing and in editing scientific and general documents;
- Proactive and well organized with good task planning and problem-solving skills;
- Fluent in either English or French with a working knowledge of the other language.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager, the Monitoring and Evaluation Officer will perform the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop reliable and robust M&E approaches, procedures and tools to monitor the performance and impacts of EU projects;
- Develop and implement appropriate monitoring and evaluation tools, including the preparation of indicator baseline sheets, performance monitoring plans (PMPs), data collection tools, data quality assessments;
- Design baseline and reference studies to collect information on performance indicators;
- Support project teams to conduct mid-term and final evaluations;
- Prepare quarterly, semi-annual and annual reports, and be involved in the development of periodic newsletters and success stories on project performance;
- Design and coordinate M&E capacity building programs for project partners;
- Provide technical and analytical expertise on all matters related to project M&E and organize annual reviews as required;
- In collaboration with the project manager, ensure that all partners have updated monitoring/performance management plans (PMPs);
- Ensure that the monitoring systems developed are functioning and properly implemented and that project teams and national partners accurately report the results in the reports;
- Carry out other M&E and reporting tasks that may be requested by CORAF Management.
- Accountant – 04/SE-CORAF/2020
Main Responsibilities :
Under the authority and supervision of the Chief Accountant, the Accountant is responsible for:
- Maintain in real time the general, analytical and budgetary accounts at the level of the Executive Secretariat of CORAF;
- Record the various resource and expenditure operations by agreement and by financial category;
- Perform monthly analysis of accounts;
- Monitor markets and commitments;
- Establish monthly bank reconciliations of accounts;
- Maintain and update the fixed assets file (entries, exits, assignments, disposals);
- Prepare financial reports for donors;
- Perform monthly reconciliations between the fixed assets file and the accounts;
- Actively participate in the work of closing the accounts;
- Assist the Chief Accountant in all tasks for which his collaboration is required;
Profile, experience and qualities required:
- Hold a minimum BAC + 3 years diploma in Accounting, Management or Finance (Bachelor degree, DUT, BTS or any other equivalent diploma);
- Proof of proven professional experience of at least 5 years in keeping accounts;
- Have a good knowledge of project accounting operations and donor procedures (European Union, USAID, IDRC, World Bank, African Development Bank, etc.);
- Mastery of accounting and project management software; knowledge of TOMPRO software would be an advantage;
- Very good knowledge of accounting procedures and principles in accordance with SYSCOHADA standards;
- Have a good command of French and/or English, and an ability to work in the other language;
- Have mastery of the standard software used by CORAF such as Excel, Word, Power Point, Access, etc.;
- Ability to work under pressure and to carry out several tasks at the same time
- Have a sense of initiative, organization and method, relationships, behavior and courtesy in behavior;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
Candidates must be a national of one of the countries whose NARS is a member of CORAF.
Location of the position
The positions will be based at the Executive Secretariat of CORAF in Dakar, Senegal.
The contract will have an initial term of 24 months, subject to a good performance during the first six (6) months. It can be renewed on the basis of satisfactory performance and the availability of financial resources for the implementation of the projects.
Candidates interested in these positions must provide a cover letter, a detailed Curriculum Vitae and full contact information of three references.
The job reference must appear on the application; otherwise, the file will not be considered.
The application should be addressed to CORAF’s Executive Director, 7, Avenue Bourguiba, BP 48 Dakar-RP, Senegal and sent by e-mail to email@example.com.
The application file must reach the CORAF Executive Secretariat no later than
16 February 2020 at 6:00 pm GMT.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for an interview.
For more information on CORAF, please visit our website: http://www.coraf.org
Women are encouraged to apply