AN OPPORTUNITY TO WORK IN AN INTERNATIONAL ORGANIZATION FOCUSED ON ACHIEVING PROSPERITY, FOOD AND NUTRITION SECURITY IN WEST AND CENTRAL AFRICA
The West and Central Africa Council for Agricultural Research and Development (CORAF) is a not for profit international association of National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) from 23 countries in West and Central Africa. CORAF harnesses partnerships to drive agricultural innovation in view of achieving prosperity and food and nutrition security in West and Central Africa. Under the auspices of the Regional Economic Communities of West and Central Africa (ECOWAS, UEMOA, ECCAS and CEMAC), CORAF designs programs that contribute to the attainment of the goals of the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP). For more information about CORAF, please visit www.coraf.org
CORAF received a grant from the United States Agency for International Development/West Africa Regional Mission (USAID/WARM) to implement a Partnership program for Agricultural Research, Education and Development (PAIRED) over a period of five years (2017 – 2022). The PAIRED specific objective is to improve agricultural productivity and market access in West Africa, through the following three components: (i) Support for strengthening CORAF institutional capacity, (ii) Increasing availability and use of agricultural technologies and innovations at scale and (iii) Enabling policy environment for regional Trade in Agri-Inputs and Products. The PAIRED is aligned to the CORAF Strategic Plan 2018-2027 and contributes to achieving the objective of the USAID Global Food Security Strategy.
CORAF seeks to hire a Manager to lead the implementation of PAIRED and invites applications from suitably qualified candidates. The position will be based at CORAF’s Executive Secretariat in Dakar, Senegal with frequent travel.
Manager Partnership for Agricultural Research, Education and Development (PAIRED)
The Manager Partnership for Agricultural Research, Education and Development (PAIRED) will report to CORAF’s Director of Research and Innovation.
Specific responsibilities will include, but not be limited to, the Following:
- Under the supervision of the Director of Research and Innovation, the Manager will be responsible for the management of the project through planning, implementation and technical expertise, monitoring of progress and ensuring proper evaluation of outputs, outcomes and impacts, financial accountability and technical reporting. The Manager will work very closely with the project partners from several different institutions, CORAF’s professional and support staff, the donor and other affiliated organizations.
- The Manager will foster a collaborative, supportive and well‐ coordinated project team across several partner organizations and countries. S/he will ensure effective communication within the project as well with relevant external parties. S/he must be able to ensure high‐quality research delivery and promote gender equity within the project as well as in its outcomes and impacts. Within the framework of the project’s scaling‐out and outcome dissemination, the Manager will promote sharing of experiences and best practices among the target beneficiaries and partners, and identify and pursue funding opportunities to strengthen the impact of the project and the donor’s investment.
- The Manager will: (i) ensure coherence, soundness, timeliness and cost-effectiveness of interventions to achieve the specific objectives of the program; (ii) design and manage interventions that aim to build the capacity of various institutions of the National Agricultural Research System including public organizations, private businesses and researchers in West Africa; (iii) and provide managerial and technical oversight and support to project team and collaborators;
- The Manager will serve as the primary point of contact with USAID and implementing partners; contribute to advocacy and lobbying for resource mobilization, investments by both the public and the private sector; and contribute to ensuring effective overall contract management, quality assurance, reporting, and communications;
- The Manager will coordinate organization of cost-effective and high impact planning meetings and training workshops; and ensure reporting, monitoring and evaluating progress towards project milestones and quality and timely reporting to USAID.
The successful candidate will have the following profile:
- An advanced degree (MSc or PhD) in social science (Agricultural Economics, Education, Extension), or related science
- With a proven record of program management acquired through a minimum of 10 years of demonstrated capacity to lead in an international, multidisciplinary, and cross-cultural environment.
- Work experience in Western and Central Africa and prior professional experience interacting with donors, national government departments and non‐governmental organizations are distinct advantages.
- Experience in results-based management and USAID procedures will be an advantage.
- Excellent skills in writing and editing scientific literature and/or ‘general’ material, computer literacy and full familiarity with the Microsoft Office® Suite of softwares are required.
- The candidate must be willing to travel regularly in the region.
- Fluency in either French or English with working knowledge of the other is highly desirable, as is the ability to communicate complex subjects succinctly.
This is an Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS) position, open to nationals of West and Central Africa, with competitive pay and benefits. This is a fixed‐term appointment for two years, renewable subject to funding availability and performance of the incumbent. CORAF is an equal opportunity employer. Applications from women are strongly encouraged. The position will be available on or before 1 October, 2018.
Applications should comprise a cover letter, a detailed CV, names and contact details (e-mail addresses and telephone) of three (3) references no later than July 27th 2018 at 16:00 CET.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.