Call for applications to fill positions on the Scientific and Technical Committee of CORAF
Opening Date: 23rd March 2018
Closing Date: 22nd April 2018
The Scientific and Technical Committee (STC) is a statutory body of CORAF, charged with the responsibility of providing scientific support to the CORAF Governing Board to ensure scientific quality and relevance of the organization’s sub-regional research activities. The STC is made up of twelve (12) members chosen from the National Agricultural Research Systems (NARS) of CORAF and partner institutions. The members are appointed based on their personal qualification for designated disciplines in agricultural research for development. The new CORAF Strategic Plan (2018-2027) and Operational Plan (2018-2022) have identified the following thematic areas that will dictate the range of expertise in the STC: (i) Food, Health and Nutrition Security; (ii) Policies, Institutions, Markets and Trade (iii) Sustainable Agriculture (crops, livestock, fisheries and aquaculture, natural resource management and climate change).
The STC holds ordinary sessions once a year normally during the month of October and extraordinary sessions when the need arises. The mandate of a member is three (03) years renewable once. The official working languages are French and English.
The objective of the present call is to select a suitable expert for each of the seven disciplines below :
- Rural Sociology and Development;
- Agricultural economics;
- Animal Production and health;
- Environment and Climate Change;
- Post-harvest and Food technology;
- Crop science and production systems
- Knowledge Management and Communication technology.
Responsibilities of STC members
- Support the Executive Secretariat’s efforts in fostering scientific cooperation and coordination in West and Central Africa.
- Ensure the scientific quality of the Programmes and Projects in line with the vision and mission of CORAF
- Help the Governing Board monitor and evaluate scientific activities of CORAF carried out in between General Assembly Meetings.
- Ensure the monitoring and evaluation of all collaborative scientific activities including scientific publication and dissemination of technical information generated and managed by CORAF.
- Help the Executive Secretariat coordinate scientific activities with the aim of promoting scientific excellence and increasing the recognition of the Institution in all countries in West and Central Africa.
- Evaluate project concept notes and proposals submitted by members of NARS and their partners in the sub-region of West and Central Africa, within the framework of the competitive grant and commissioned projects schemes.
- Represent the Executive Secretariat in national, regional and international scientific meetings and conferences.
- Participate, when solicited, in activities carried out at the CORAF Executive Secretariat, such as recruitments, etc.
- Members are selected based on their individual merit and their selection is not linked to their institution of origin.
- Members must come from National Agricultural Research Systems (universities, research institutes, civil society organizations, producer organizations, private sector institutions), Advanced Research Institutions and International Agricultural Research Centres).
- Members must be available to provide support to the Scientific and Technical Committee in carrying out its tasks.
- The functions of selected members must be compatible with the interests of agricultural research and development in West and Central Africa.
- Members of the STC do not receive any salary from CORAF; however, travelling, lodging and subsistence costs of members, incurred during participation in meetings organized by CORAF or in meetings where they represent the Institution, will be paid. CORAF also offers a modest honorarium to STC members who carry out studies and evaluations on its behalf.
Key evaluation criteria
Selection of the candidates will be based on the following criteria:
- Academic qualification: PhD in the designated or related discipline
- At least 10 years of professional experience,
- Proven knowledge and experience in agricultural development issues in WCA
- High quality publications in the relevant discipline
- Proven experience in the management of scientific partnerships within the IAR4D context,
- Administrative experience,
- Experience in gender issues
Submission of applications
The candidate’s document must consist of a motivation letter and detailed curriculum vitae. The document must be addressed to:
Executive Director of CORAF with a copy to the Chairman of the Scientific and Technical Committee of CORAF, at the following address: 7, avenue Bourguiba BP 48 Dakar-RP, Republic of Senegal or by e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject of the message: “Application for the position of the CST” with copy to «email@example.com».
WOMEN ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY